Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Manassas, many of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—even with your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at Air-Right Energy Design, Inc. can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Air-Right Energy Design, Inc. in Manassas a call to begin. You can reach us at 703-260-1148 or arrange an appointment with us online.