Spring is in the air here in Manassas and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Air-Right Energy Design, Inc. team has some helpful advice that will assist in keeping your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to coincide with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you are back to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Air-Right Energy Design, Inc. in Manassas a call at 703-260-1148.