According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have insects or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to ask Air-Right Energy Design, Inc. in Manassas about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Air-Right Energy Design, Inc.. Annual checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Inspecting your system regularly and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts open.
Additional ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and put in new filters when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Manassas home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Air-Right Energy Design, Inc. at 703-260-1148 or arrange an appointment online.