Everyone has to deal with a clogged drain at one time or another. It’s a common if not irritating problem that can happen anywhere throughout your plumbing. Depending on where, you might not realize how serious a clog is. It can make it tougher to know when it’s time to call for a plumber in Manassas.
You may be able to figure out for yourself how bad the clog is. Check nearby drains or listen for strange sounds coming from your pipes. These might be signs pointing to where the clog is. When you find it, you’ll have to figure out if you need to call a plumber or not. The following info may help you make a decision.
When Does a Clog Need a Pro Plumber?
There are a number of things that affect the seriousness of a clog in the plumbing. The info you have about a potential clog could lead a Air-Right Energy Design plumber to its source sooner.
- Where is it? One of the most important aspects of a clog is where in your plumbing it appeared. Most of your home’s pipes are in difficult-to-access places like behind walls and under floors. Some clogs may need specialized equipment to reach in the first place.
- Can water flow? If the pipes are still draining, you may be able to remove the clog on your own. But if a fixture or appliance is completely backed up, it’s probably safer for a licensed plumber to take a look.
- What formed the clog? Some substances can have a larger effect on your plumbing. Simple organic waste like coffee or hair is unpleasant but typically easy to clean out on your own. Other materials like sewage can be much more complicated (and maybe even risky). Taking care of these clogs will need more steps and the experience of a pro.
Where Can Clogs Form in My Plumbing System?
Unfortunately, there aren’t many places in your plumbing clogs can’t form. We rely on our plumbing for so many chores like cleaning, cooking and laundry. A clog can appear near the appliances and fixtures we use or within the pipes themselves.
- Bathroom Clogs: Your toilet, sink and shower can all clog. If your bathroom drain is clogged, the culprit is often hair. Taking care of a clogged sink drain, clogged tub drain or clogged shower drain can be as easy as removing the clogged hair. It’s fast, if a little gross. Other times, a hair-clogged drain can turn into a clogged drain deep in the pipe. In this instance, you may require professional help.
- Kitchen Clogs: Your kitchen sink and dishwasher are the most common places for a clog to form. Is your kitchen drain clogged? Use the garbage disposal properly to be certain food waste doesn’t collect. But if the disposal itself is clogged, don’t reach into it! The blades can result in injury.
- Laundry and Clogs. Plumbing near the washing machine can clog, especially if lint traps aren’t working like they would usually. Other washing machine clogs can be caused by laundry soap and grease stains on clothes.
How to Clear a Clogged Drain
If it’s a little clog, you may be able to resolve the problem on your own. Unclogging doesn’t always need special equipment. In fact, sometimes it’s as simple as getting the plunger. Here are a few tips for DIY drain maintenance!
- Mesh or mindfulness goes a long way. Using mesh filters or other traps for sink drains can keep foreign materials out of your plumbing. Keep an eye on what you’re bringing to your kitchen or bathroom sink. If it’s something that can clog, try to safely break it down.
- Know what shouldn’t be flushed. Things like baby wipes, cooking grease and potato peels aren’t supposed to end up down the drain. Dispose of them properly to keep your plumbing in the best possible condition.
- Always try your trusty plunger. Even if a leak looks bad, your plunger is a simple and effective tool. Give your plunger a go before you get professional help.
- Other home remedies can help. Did you know there’s a clogged drain home remedy? You can try to fix your drain with baking soda and vinegar. We don’t recommend using store-bought liquid drain openers, since these toxic chemicals can harm your pipes.
Tried these tips but still have a problem? Call us at 703-260-1148 for quick and affordable drain cleaning in Manassas.
Call Air-Right Energy Design for Fast and Effective Plumbers in Manassas
Keeping your home’s plumbing in good condition is important to everyone at Air-Right Energy Design. Our plumbers are dedicated to providing you with the best plumbing service in Manassas. If you need quality drain cleaning services, we’ve got you covered.
We have the tools and training to get the job done right. For pro plumbing services, call Air-Right Energy Design today. Get in touch to request more info or to schedule an appointment. Call us today at 703-260-1148!