Everyone has to deal with a clogged drain at one point or another. It’s a common if not irritating problem that can happen anywhere throughout your plumbing. Depending on where, you might not realize how bad a clog is. It can make it harder to know when it’s time to call for a plumber in Manassas.
You may be able to find out for yourself how bad the clog is. Check your drains or listen for strange sounds coming from your pipes. These might be signs pointing to where the clog began. When you find it, you’ll have to figure out if you want to call a plumber or not. The following info may help you choose.
When Does a Clog Need a Pro Plumber?
There are a number of things that affect the seriousness of a clog in the plumbing. The info you have about a new clog could lead a Air-Right Energy Design, Inc. plumber to its source right away.
- Where is it? One of the most important aspects of a clog is where in your plumbing it appeared. Most of your home’s pipes are in tough-to-reach places like behind walls and under floors. Some clogs may need specialized equipment to reach in the first place.
- Can water flow? If the pipes are still draining, you may be able to tackle the clog on your own. But if a fixture or appliance is completely backed up, it’s generally safer for a certified plumber to take a look.
- What started the clog? Some substances can have a bigger effect on your plumbing. Simple organic waste like coffee or hair is unpleasant but typically easy to remove on your own. Other materials like sewage can be much more complicated (and maybe even risky). Removing these clogs will need more steps and the experience of a pro.
Where Can Clogs Form in My Plumbing System?
Unfortunately, there aren’t many places in your plumbing clogs can’t form. We depend on our plumbing for so many tasks like cleaning, cooking and laundry. A clog can show up near the appliances and fixtures we use or within the pipes themselves.
- Bathroom Clogs: Your toilet, sink and shower can all clog. If your bathroom drain is clogged, the culprit is usually hair. Taking care of a clogged sink drain, clogged tub drain or clogged shower drain can be as easy as cleaning the extra hair out. It’s fast, if a little gross. Other times, a hair-clogged drain can lead to a clogged drain deep in the pipe. In this instance, you may have to find professional help.
- Kitchen Clogs: Your kitchen sink and dishwasher are the most common places for a clog to form. Is your kitchen drain clogged? Use the garbage disposal properly to ensure food waste doesn’t collect. But if the disposal itself is clogged, don’t reach into it! The blades can result in injury.
- Laundry and Clogs. Plumbing close to the washing machine can clog, namely if lint traps aren’t working like they do normally. Other washing machine clogs can be caused by laundry soap and grease stains on clothes.
How to Clear a Clogged Drain
If it’s a little clog, you may be able to handle the problem by yourself. Unclogging doesn’t always need special equipment. In fact, sometimes it’s as straightforward as reaching for the plunger. Here are some tips for DIY drain maintenance!
- Mesh or mindfulness goes a long way. Using mesh filters or other traps for sink drains can keep foreign materials out of your plumbing. Keep an eye on what you’re bringing to your kitchen or bathroom sink. If it’s something that can clog, try to safely break it down.
- Know what shouldn’t be flushed. Things like baby wipes, cooking grease and potato peels aren’t supposed to be put in the drain. Dispose of them properly to keep your plumbing in the best possible condition.
- Always try your trusty plunger. Even if a leak seems bad, your plunger is a simple and efficient tool. Give your plunger a go before you hire professional help.
- Other home remedies can help. Did you know there’s a clogged drain home remedy? You can try to flush your drain with baking soda and vinegar. We don’t advise using store-bought liquid drain openers, since these toxic chemicals can harm your pipes.
Tried these tips but still have a problem? Call us at 703-260-1148 for quick and affordable drain cleaning in Manassas.
Call Air-Right Energy Design, Inc. for Fast and Effective Plumbers in Manassas
Keeping your home’s plumbing in good condition is important to everyone at Air-Right Energy Design, Inc.. Our plumbers are devoted to providing you with the best plumbing service in Manassas. If you need quality drain cleaning services, we’ve got you covered.
We have the tools and training to get the job done right. For pro plumbing services, call Air-Right Energy Design, Inc. today. Get in touch to request more info or to schedule an appointment. Call us today at 703-260-1148!